Friday, January 19, 2018

In Other Handwritten News

Can't unsee

Visa joins other major US credit card companies in getting rid of signatures
Jan 2018, The Verge

There's a local artist at my local cafe who signs the kiosk signpad with a different picture every time. Sometimes it's a duck, sometimes a sailboat. He doesn't care much for signatures.

I don't care much for signatures either. I wonder if every married couple has signed eachother's signatures on the check at a restaurant? I thought it was a common thing to do, until I tried it with a not-so-intimate partner and she got real mad at me. I apologized profusely, but in my mind I was like what the f is wrong w this chick, doesn't she know signatures don't really exist?? (I mean, you know, unless you're like Barack Obama, or Muhammad Ali.)


Anyway, it's official - signatures no longer exist.
And while we're at it, say goodbye to handwriting as we know it.
(And I'll always wonder if this has something to do with the rise of graffiti mid 2000's.)

Post Script

For what it's worth, check out this other blurb about fake font detectives and sports memorabilia signature experts:

Fake Fonts
Network Address, Oct 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment