Friday, August 17, 2012

The Map's Gone


image taken from http://soundcloud.com/6gun/the-maps-gone

Can't help it, this was bugging me for a while, and I don't see much about it, so I'd like to clear it up, and then make a mess of it again.

"The Riot's Gone" off Santigold's album Master of My Make Believe, 2012

@3:07, Santigold sounds exactly like Karen O. in "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

I'm listening to pandora, hear Maps, and I finally realize the match. I knew Karen O. was on the album, she's sings in the song "Go!", what I didn't know was that she also sings for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I should've known, because the guitars are actually lifted right from "Maps" (besides the fact that Nicholas Zinner guitarist for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs did production work for the album).

For another 'no man behind the curtain' anecdote, see this story about microchip patterns and romanticism.

Anyway, this is where it gets funny. Find this guy 6gun on soundcloud, he notices the same parallel, and mashes up the 2 songs.

So, if Riot is originally a mashup of Maps, and then 6gun mashes the two together, is that like breaking a kind of idea-incest rule? What do we call that?

No comments:

Post a Comment